Friday, December 29, 2023

The Pros and Cons of Weight Watchers

 There's a lot of postings on the WW FB Groups lately both cons and pros of Weight Watchers.  Some are still upset over the closing of meetings, firing of employees, what will eventually happen to lifetimer status, and the purchasing of a weight loss drug company; which is changing the whole path of what WW stood for.  Others are standing behind WW and are mad about all the negative comments.

Where do I stand?

I'm probably more on the con side of WW at the moment.

Weight Watchers provided me with a way to lose weight without making me feel deprived of the foods I loved.  In 1998 the first points program was introduced; that particular program would remain around in one form or another (but always using the same way to calculate points) until late 2010.  TWELVE YEARS!!  Points Plus got introduced in November of 2010 and would last until 2015.  FIVE YEARS. Then Smart Points arrived and would last for TWO YEARS and then we had Freestyle for about ONE YEAR before it became the Green, Blue, Purple plan and then it bounced into Personal Points where you chose your own zero food list and then a year later we were back to Blue/Freestyle only with the Personal Point Calculation.  Whew!!

In other words....  The first point plan lasted 12 years but since 2016 WW has had FIVE plans.  That's right 5 plans in 7 years.  Apparently we're either over achieving or can't commit to a program.

That's why I'm on the con side - I'm frustrated with all the plans.  Though I think the original and points plus were the best plans.  I do think if weight watchers wants to commit to the personal point calculation, they should do so with plan options - like the color ones.  One for those who want to count points for everything, one for maybe just fruits/veggies being zero pts., one like the current one; one like purple and one like simply filling.  That may seem like a lot; but it's better than forcing everyone into one plan, especially when you offered it and then took it away.

I for one don't like losing daily points to accommodate a zero food that I don't eat and/or rarely eat.  I just don't.  

Also if anyone is on the Healthi App and doing one of the WW programs on it, they are still doing Weight Watchers!  Don't knock them for it.

As far as weight loss drugs...I could care less if you use them or not, as a matter of fact if your doctor thinks that's the way to go then by all means follow your doctor's advice.  I don't believe, however, that WW should be offering this service via a website.  Sorry, I just don't.


No comments:

Post a Comment